- Written by John E. Johnson, Jr.
- Published on 17 February 2014
Horn speakers have been around nearly a century. They were used in movie theaters when the films became "talkies", and their advantage is that they are extremely efficient, which is good, because the power amplifiers in the theaters during the 1930's were very low powered. Linn Audio has built horn speakers for several decades, but most hi-fi enthusiasts may never have heard a horn speaker. They are characterized by wonderful, effortless midrange. The Linn Audio Athenaeum horn speakers are reviewed here.
- Design: Two-way, Ported
- Drivers: One 1" Compression Tweeter, One 15" Cone Woofer
- MFR: 30 Hz - 20 kHz ± 3 dB (Optional Super Tweeter Extends FR to 40 kHz)
- Sensitivity: 97 dB (110 dB when Bi-amped)
- Recommended Power: 15 Watts Minimum
- Dimensions: 43" H x 28" W x 28" D
- Weight: 225 Pounds/each
- MSRP: $60,000/pair USD
- Linn Audio
- Linn Audio, Speakers, Floorstanding, Horn Speakers, Stereo, Audio