- Written by Jim Clements
- Published on 22 October 2012
Introduction to the Legacy Classic HD Speakers
The e-mail came in one afternoon – "Mr. Clements, would you be interested in reviewing Legacy's newest towers." Are you kidding? Of course I would be interested in reviewing a pair of Legacy's speakers. I mean, Legacy is one of the modern era's great speaker companies. Everything I've heard that has come from Legacy was nothing short of impressive on so many levels.
LEGACY CLASSIC HD SPECIFICATIONS
Classic HD Towers
- Design: 4 Driver, 3-Way, Bass Reflex
- >MFR: 32–30,000 Hz ±2dB
- Tweeter: 1" Dual Pole Neo Ribbon, Folded Kapton Diaphragm
- Midrange: 7" Rohacell Reinforced-Silver Graphite, Cast Frame
- Woofer: 2 ~ 8" Rohacell Reinforced-Silver Graphite, Cast Frame
- Woofer Loading: B-6
- Crossover Frequencies: 450Hz, 4kHz
- Sensitivity: 94 dB/2.83 volts (In-Room)
- Impedance: 4 Ohm
- Recommended Amplifier Power: 25 ‒ 300 Watts
- Inputs: 2 Pair Custom 5-way Binding Posts
- Weight: 110 lbs. each
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 44" × 10.75" × 13"
- MSRP: $4,150/pair (Standard Finishes)
- Design: Passive radiator
- Loading: 6th Order
- Active Driver: Aura 12" Spun Aluminum with Encapsulated Neo Motor
- Subsonic Radiator: Down-Firing 15"
- Internal Amplifier: 500 W, Class D
- MFR: 20 – 150 Hz
- Inputs: 2 RCA, 1 pair high level
- Shipping Weight: 68 lbs
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 16" × 16" × 16"
- MSRP: $1,495/ea (Standard Finishes)
- Legacy Audio
- SECRETS TAGS: Floorstanding Speakers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Legacy, Audio
The speakers in question are the Classic HD's. These 3-way, 4-driver speakers are the next to smallest tower in Legacy's lineup and they are competitively priced; starting at only $4,150/pair. As if that wouldn't make me entirely satisfied, Legacy decided to include the new Metro HD sub. This is 16" cube powers its 12" active driver and 15" passive radiator with a 500 watt Class A/B amp. You can pick up this little powerhouse at a base price of just $1,495 each.
Take a look at my review and test results to find out why I found this 2.1 system was easy to live with.