- Written by Jim Clements
- Published on 19 May 2014
JL Audio E-Sub E112 Powered Subwoofer Review Highlights
SECRETS is well-known for their subwoofer reviews, and over the past 20 years we have reviewed over 100 subwoofers with varied technologies and price points. I particularly like them, and have reviewed a number of them for SECRETS.
This review of the JL Audio subwoofer was an opportunity to audition one of the new line of affordable subwoofers that JL Audio designed for the home. Called the "E-Subs", they feature a sealed box design with high excursion drivers driven by powerful Class D amp modules. They offer multiple hook-up options to include low and high level inputs with a 24 dB/octave high pass filter on the RCA outputs. The E-Sub e112 has a 12" driver and a 1,500 watt amplifier. These subs are made in the USA and are individually verified and tested at the factory.
This subwoofer took a little more effort to set up than other subs I have reviewed in the last few years. Once set up and dialed in, this sub showed its best stuff with cinema material.
Here is a summary of what I found:
- • The bass was deep and powerful, just right for bombastic movie sound tracks.
- • The music listening experience with the e112 was at times quite enjoyable, particularly with pipe organ and electronically synthesized music.
- • The bench test results were very good for a medium sized sub that retails in the $1,900 - $2,100 range (depending on finish).
- • If you are looking for a compact and nice looking sub for your home system, the E-Sub e112 is worth serious consideration and the very accessible price point makes it an even easier choice.
Introduction to the JL Audio E-Sub E112 Powered Subwoofer Review
JL Audio is best known for their no-compromise mobile audio speakers and amplifiers. That's where it all started for them. But they also made a name for themselves with a line of extreme powered subs for the home market. The first JL Audio home subwoofers (the Gotham and Fathom) were big and bold. They ranked among the best subwoofers you could get at any price and they have been very well received by the audio press and consumers alike. We reviewed several of the Fathom subwoofers including the Fathom-f110 and the Fathom f112
JL Audio E-Sub E112 Powered Subwoofer Review SPECIFICATIONS
- Design: Acoustic Suspension (Sealed)
- Driver: 12"
- Internal Amplifier: 1,500 watts RMS Short-term, Class D
- MFR: 22 – 118 Hz (± 1.5 dB)
- Inputs: 2 RCA Unbalanced and 2 Speaker-level
- Outputs: 2 RCA Unbalanced (Filtered)
- Weight: 73.5 Pounds
- Dimensions: 16.23" H × 15.50" W × 18.39" D
- Finishes: High Gloss Piano Black and Black Ash
- MSRP: $1,900 - $2,100 USD
- JL Audio
- SECRETS Tags: JL Audio, Subwoofer, Powered subwoofer, Subwoofer Reviews 2014
Now, JL Audio is taking what they learned with these statement products and releasing scaled down subwoofers at more accessible price points through a new line called the "E-Subs". There are two models of E-Sub, the e110 and the e112. I requested the larger e112 for this review. It is a lovely sealed box design with a 1,500 watt Class D amp and a quite substantial 12" high excursion driver. Let's see if the trickle-down technologies will equate to a worthwhile product for your next system.