Miramar, FL—JL Audio—November 7, 2017—JL Audio, an innovator in high-end audio solutions, announced the launch of a new 8-inch version of their Fathom® IWS in-wall subwoofer systems. The new 8-inch Fathom® IWS system joins the previous 13.5-inch driver models in the Fathom® IWS lineup.
Andy Oxenhorn, President of JL Audio says, “We are excited about the potential of the 8-inch in-wall subwoofer solution in our growing line of architectural audio solutions. This model has a very small grille opening that will please customers looking for a visually unobtrusive solution, while still capable of delivering true JL Audio sub-bass performance.”
The 8-inch Fathom® IWS systems feature a compact enclosure–built in JL Audio’s Miramar, FL factory–that utilizes extensive architectural techniques to improve rigidity, while maintaining a minimal footprint to facilitate installation in more applications regardless of wall construction. A unique port design vents through a slot located at the perimeter of the driver mount, to enhance efficiency and low-bass output.
Inside the enclosure is an all-new, long-excursion, 8-inch thin-line woofer, designed and built specifically by JL Audio for these products. The system is driven by a rack-mountable DSP/amplifier with up to 600 watts of clean power, and programmed specifically for each system. A complete set of Fathom® signal processing features are in the amplifier, including a powerful, 18-band Digital Automatic Room Optimization (D.A.R.O.) system, and a true 2-way crossover with high-pass outputs, all accessible via an easy-to-use, menu-driven interface and LCD display.
“Fathom IWS systems start with a premise that our customers should not need to lower their expectations for sound quality when selecting an in-wall subwoofer solution. The IWS-108 and 208 systems combine our expertise in driver, enclosure and amplifier design to deliver on this core principle, in a compact package that is easy to integrate into any room.” added Manville Smith, VP of Marketing.
- Enclosure Type: Ported Enclosure
- Driver(s): 8-inch (nominal diameter)
- Effective Piston Area: 31.62 sq. in. (0.0204 sq. m.) for each woofer
- Effective Displacement: 47.5 cu. in. (0.78 liters) for each woofer
- Amplifier Power: 300W RMS short-term (IWS-SYS-108), 600W RMS short-term (IWS-SYS-208)
- Amplifier Dimensions (HxWxD): 1.75 in. x 16.84 in. x 13.63 in. (44 mm x 428 mm x 346 mm)
- Amplifier Net Weight: 13.5 lbs. (6.12 kg)
- Enclosure Dimensions (HxWxD): 61.63 in. x 14 in. x 3.25 in. (1,565 mm x 355 mm x 83 mm)
- Cabinet Finish: Black Texture-Coated
- Wall Opening Dimensions (HxW): 9.75 in. x 9.75 in. (248 mm x 248 mm)
- Grille Dimensions (HxW): 10.50 in. x 10.50 in. (267 mm x 267 mm)
- Grille Finish: White (paintable)
- Proprietary, purpose built, ported enclosure
- Single amplifier system solution – 300W single driver system or 600W dual driver system
- Off, On, Automatic (Signal-Sensing or 12V Trigger) Power Modes
- D-Pad navigation buttons with LCD display
- Inputs – JLINK™ (RJ45 jack), Unbalanced Stereo or Mono (two RCA jacks), High-Level Stereo or Mono (removable plug)
- Outputs – Stereo or Mono (two RCA jacks – Pass-Through or High-Pass), Neutrik speak-On® 2-Pole Connectors (uses Neutrik part: NL2FX, included)
- 18-Band Digital Automatic Room Optimization (D.A.R.O.)
MSRP USD: $2,100 – $3,000
Availability: Mid October 2017
About JL AUDIO– Guided by a philosophy that great audio has real value, JL Audio develops innovative products that improve the audio experience on the go, in the home, and in the studio. Committed to unique engineering and quality manufacturing, JL Audio operates three U.S. engineering facilities, and builds many of its home, car and marine loudspeaker products at the company’s Miramar, Florida, USA factory, with components sourced from the company’s global supply network.