- Category: Turntable Reviews
- Written by Jim Clements
- Published on 17 June 2013
Introduction to the Pro-Ject Xtension 10 Superpack Turntable System
Pro-Ject Audio Systems' reputation among turntable manufacturers was built largely through their value product lines. But Pro-Ject has been cracking into the higher end with a series of high quality turntables and tonearms in recent years. The Xtension 10 is a recent model in the mid-to-high price category and offers excellent looks, great build quality and amazing performance.
This beautiful turntable from Pro-Ject Audio Systems is dubbed the Xtension 10. This new model is a smaller version of the highly acclaimed Xtension 12. Pro-Ject retained most of the design features of the Xtension 12 to include a built-in precision speed control, a balanced sandwich platter, adjustable magnetic feet and a precision inverted ceramic main bearing. The over-designed Xtension 10 weighs in at a healthy 48-1/2 lbs net! It comes with a heavy record clamp and acrylic dust cover included.
The major difference over the older model is that the Xtension 10's smaller size will fit on standard racks and shelves. The 10 also uses a different tonearm, the 10 cc Evolution which is a extremely lightweight and rigid carbon fiber design.
The Xtension 10 retails for $2,999 USD. My review unit came with a Sumiko Blackbird high output MC cartridge which is available as part of a special package pricing deal. Sumiko has dubbed this the "Superpack" and it includes the table, arm and Blackbird cartridge for $3,699 which reflects a $399 savings if purchased separately.
PRO-JECT XTENSION 10 SUPERPACK TURNTABLE SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS
- Design: Belt-driven with AC Synchronous Motor
- Speeds: 33, 45 and 78 (DS Speed Box Built In)
- Platter: 12.6 Ponds (5.7 kg) Sandwich Construction
- Tonearm: 10" EVO Carbon Fiber
- Wow & Flutter: <0.01%
- S/N: -73 db
- Dimensions (dust cover closed): 19" (480 mm) w x 9.3" (235mm) h x 15.8" (400mm) d
- Weight: 44 lbs (20 kg)
- MSRP: $2,999 USA
- Design: High Output MC
- MFR: 10Hz - 50kHz
- Output: 2.5 mV/ch
- Impedance: 47 kOhm
- Internal Impedance: 135 Ohm
- Channel Separation: 35 db @ 1kHz
- Channel Balance: 0.5 db @ 1kHz
- Tracking Force Range: 1.8 – 2.2 gm
- Weight: 9.6 gm
- MSRP: $1,099 USA (Package pricing on table + cartridge purchases)
- SECRETS Tags: Pro-Ject, Sumiko, Turntables, Audio