Articles

Home Theater Movie Renter's Guide - November, 2013

ARTICLE INDEX

"2 Guns" (Blu-ray) - Reviewed by Jim Clements

movie-november-2013-2-guns

Synopsis

Denzel Washington plays Bobby, a DEA Agent and Mark Wahlberg is Stig, a Naval Intelligence Officer.  These two undercover agents have teamed up on a bank heist that is designed to exact revenge on a Mexican drug lord named Papi Greco (played by Edward James Olmos).  Well, there are a number of problems brewing for our protagonists.  To start things off, they were expecting to get around $3M in the robbery, but wind up with a whopping $43M.  Then they find out that the other is a secret agent working for a different agency.  More forces come into play as things begin to unravel - little things such as the CIA, the FBI and corrupt agents within both the DEA and NCIS. 

Specifications

• Universal Studios
  • 2013, Color, Rated R, 1 Hr 50 mins
  • Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1
  • 1080p
  • Codec: AVC
  • English 5.1 DTS-HD Master
  • Starring: Denzel Washington, Mark Wahlberg, Paula Patton and Bill Paxton
  • Directed by: Baltasar Kormákur
Rating
  • Entertainment:
  • Video:
  • Audio:
  • Extras:
  • Violence: Yes
  • Sex: Yes
  • Language: Yes

Commentary

I was in the perfect mood for some brainless entertainment when I watched 2 Guns.  So I may have enjoyed it much more than I might have if my mood was bent on deeper fare.  Nevertheless, I was rarin' and ready when the movie started and I laughed like a kid at most of the schtick.  That is the best part of this movie - it is essentially a comedy with a ton of energy  and excitement.  I also liked the acting work done by the main stars, but also Bill Paxton who plays a demented CIA Agent.  The downside of this movie is the trite plot that has just a few too many twists and turns, many of theme quite predictable by the third act.  But don't let that stop you.  If you are in the right mood like I was, then rent this movie and have a little fun!

Technical

This is generally a bright, coloful and fast paced movie that is served well with a detailed, high contrast and richly colored digital transfer.  Outdoor scenes are especially clean and clear.  There are some indoor scenes that run a little soft and with some crush in the blacks.  But on the whole this is basically reference material.  

The audio is as good as it gets.  It is an immersive sound with excellent dynamics and a broad frequency response that brings out every special effect and vocal.  The music is also properly mastered and thoroughly engaging.

Extras

This 2-disc set comes with the Blu-ray, a DVD and an HD Ultraviolet streaming code.  Other on-disc extras are:

A making of featurette in four parts - "Undercover and Into Action"; "The Good, the Bad, and the Sexy"; "Finding the Vibe" and "Living Dangerously".  

A short behind the scenes featurette - "Undercover and Into Action".

Deleted and extended scenes and a Feature Commentary With Director Baltasar Kormákur and Producer Adam Siegel.