- Written by Jim Clements
- Published on 05 March 2014
Introduction to the Krell S-550i Integrated Amplifier
The S-550i is the larger of two new integrated amps from Krell. Both of these amps feature circuit boards that utilize surface mount components. This means they can pack more power into smaller chassis than ever before. The S-550i is rated at 275 watts per channel into 8 ohms, and that doubles to 550 wpc into a 4 ohm load. This being from a box that is less than 6 inches tall. So now you can get tons of Krell goodness in a small package and at a very affordable price.
For the uninitiated, Krell has been around for almost 30 years now, producing fine sounding equipment with a rugged, industrial look. Some of the all-time best systems I have ever heard were built around Krell amplification and digital source components.
In a very interesting move, Krell is getting into the car audio game and recently announced they are offering a premium sound system as an option to Acura's flagship sedan, the 2014 RLX. This is a major move for Krell and I see it as quite the compliment because Acura (possibly more than any other car maker) has a long standing tradition of audio excellence.
KRELL S-550I INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER SPECIFICATIONS
- Design: Fully Balanced Differential Class A/B Integrated Amplifier
- Power Output: 275 wpc (8 Ohms); 550 wpc (4 Ohms)
- THD: <0.025% at 1 kHz
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 20 kHz +0, -0.08 dB
- Inputs: 1 Balanced XLR, 3 Unbalanced RCA, 1 iPod 30-Pin Connector
- Outputs: 1 Pair Pre Out RCA and 1 Pair Speaker
- Input Impedance: Balanced - 95 kOhms; Single-Ended - 47.5 kOhms
- Output Impedance: <0.073 Ω at 20 Hz; <0.08 Ω, 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Damping Factor: >110 at 20 Hz (8 Ohm Load); >75, 20 Hz to 20 kHz (8 Ohm Load)
- Dimensions: 5.84" H x 17.26" W x 17.70" D
- Weight: 64 Pounds
- MSRP: $5,000 USD
- Krell Industries
- SECRETS Tags: Krell, Integrated, Amplifiers, Audio, Stereo