- Written by Adrian Wittenberg
- Published on 17 November 2011
Introduction to the Sharp LC-60LE835U 60” LED LCD 3D HDTV
While just about every HDTV manufacturer is including 3D as a necessary, almost required feature in their panels, only two manufacturers are pushing the limits when it comes to very large LCD displays. Those two manufacturers would be Sharp and Samsung. Samsung’s extraordinary 75” 9000 series LED LCD TV will set you back the price of a shiny new compact vehicle, or about $13,000, while Sharp has four standard 70” models with the top of the line standard 3D set listing at a much lower $4299. Along with competitively priced gargantuan panels the other thing Sharp is generating buzz for is their Quattron technology which is the inclusion of a fourth yellow sub pixel in the pixel matrix. Sharp says adding this yellow sub pixel not only creates a wider color gamut (especially in yellows, greens, and cyans) but also makes the panel both brighter and more efficient due to the amount of light that passes through the yellow filtered sub pixel. Since the Sharp panels are getting very good Energy Star ratings there is probably some very smart engineering going on under the hood.
The subject of this review is the mid-priced, slightly large but not quite gargantuan LC-60LE835U 60” LED LCD 3D display that lists for $2,799. The LC-60LE835U feature list includes edge lit LCD technology, 3D capability, 240hz AquoMotion backlight strobing, Ethernet port, built in Wi-Fi (G,N) adapter, DLNA support, internet connected services such as Netflix, CinemaNow, and Vudu, and IP control for connectivity with automation products such as Control 4 and Crestron.
SHARP LC-60LE835U LED LCD 3D HDTV SPECIFICATIONS
- Design: LED Edge-Lit LCD HDTV
- Native Resolution: 1920x1080
- Maximum Refresh Rate: 240 Hz (120Hz Motion + Backlight Strobing)
- Screen Size: 60.1" Diagonal
- 3D Formats: Side by Side, Top & Bottom, 2D -> 3D
- Screen Formats: 4:3 Normal, Dot by Dot, Smart Stretch, Zoom, Stretch, Full Screen
- Audio: 10 Watts X 2, Subwoofer – 15 Watts. Digital optical (Dolby Digital, PCM)
- Inputs: 4 HDMI 1.4, 2 USB, 1 Component, 1 Composite, 2 RCA, 1 RS-232C, 1 15 pin D-sub PC, 1 Ethernet.
- Wireless Capable: Yes, Built in Support for G (2.4 GHz) and N (5 GHz), DLNA capable
- Internet Apps: Vudu, Netflix, CinemaNow, Blockbuster On Demand, Alphaline Entertainment, Aquos Advantage Live
- Power Consumption: 220W, ( 0.1W Standby)
- Dimensions: 34.9" H x 54.4" W x 1.6" D (Stand 14.6" Deep)
- Weight: 68.3 Pounds (83.8 Pounds with Stand)
- MSRP: $2,799 USD; 3D Glasses $149.99 USD
- Secrets Tags: HDTV, LED, Edge Lit