- Published on 19 January 2009
THIEL is one of the most well known and long lived high end speaker companies. Jim Thiel founded Thiel Audio in 1976, building his company's reputation on speakers that are time and phase coherent. All of THIEL's full range speakers have followed this recipe, including the new CS3.7. Where the CS3.7 differs is in its level of execution. The CS3.7 is almost double the price of the older CS3.6 model, and approaches or exceeds the price points of the larger CS5 and CS7 speakers of the past. While the speaker follows the same recipe as past THIEL models, it is reinvented in almost every way. For some (at least those who haven't heard it), the increased price was a big disappointment. I call this sour grapes for people who thought they could afford the CS3.7 but then had to realize they couldn't. The CS3.7 is worth every cent, and is a strong contender versus pretty much any full-range speaker in the under-$20k price category.
Further Notes on the CS3.7 by John Johnson - February 18, 2011, Go to Page 6.
- Design: Three-way, Passive Diaphragm (Radiator)
- Drivers: One 1" Aluminum Dome, One 4.5" Midrange, One 10" Woofer, One 10" Wave-shaped Diaphragm
- MFR: 33 Hz - 26 kHz ± 2 dB
- Sensitivity: 90 dB/2.8v/Meter - Anechoic
- Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms (2.8 Ohms Minimum)
- Recommended Power: 100 - 600 watts
- Dimensions: 45" H x 12.5" W x 21" W
- Weight: 91 Pounds
- MSRP: $12,900/Pair USA, Outriggers Optional